Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Dhoom 2

Whoa, I must really love Bollywood. I just downloaded a song to my Ipod with a chorus that contains the words, "Excuse Me to Please"(It's catchy,ok? And I'm really really hoping the incorrect word usage is intentional).

What's even more hilarious is that I downloaded the entire soundtrack from Dhoom 2 immediately after watching it--Even though I don't speak Hindi and didn't really like the movie all that much.

Why did I decide to buy into the hype and watch Dhoom 2, even though I'm not really an action movie fan? Well, I can't really answer that. I guess I was just starting to dabble in Bollywood, and anything with the Yash Raj banner seemed to be a fairly safe bet(I've since branched out and changed my opinion, but that's a whole different conversation), at least where direction and smoothness is concerned. And Dhoom 2 was advertised in all the Indian grocery stores in my neighborhood, so I figured that had to mean something.




















I can't say I regret my decision. Dhoom 2 wasn't really all that bad, but it wasn't really all that good, either. It was like a mediocre Hollywood action flick you go on a first date to see and you forget about until you see the DVD on a clearance shelf at Wal-Mart and you go, "Oh, yeah. The movie I saw with so-and-so." Nothing memorable or special, except for a few bonuses:

#1, The beautiful cast(excluding Uday Chopra, sorry, but he really irritated me)...Aishwarya and Bips are probably two of the most gorgeous women on the planet, Hrithik's an obvious hunk, and for me, Abhishek Bachchan, who I was attracted to in this movie more than ever. I don't know, must be the whole undercover cop thing...and the fact that he cooks for his pregnant wife.


#2,The music was fun and strangely catchy, and you can't beat Hrithik's dance moves. I also really liked "Don't Touch Me" with Abhi and Bipasha Basu(by the way, first time I got to see her in a movie--is she beautiful or what?). Speaking of Bips, why didn't they do a song with her and Aishwarya?


#3, I learned that I have no desire whatsoever to watch Neal N Nikki...(or anything starring Uday Chopra, ever)I know I want to watch as many Bollywood movies as possible for the sake of this site, but I'm sorry, guys. I just can't do it.


#4, a nice pairing of Hrithik with Aishwarya, which for some reason, really worked for me. I always have a hard time identifying with Aishwarya onscreen, which I think is due to her being distractingly beautiful. With Hrithik, (who I also can't really warm up to but who I think is undeniably hot)this works because he seems to be a bit more in her league.


Having said that, I wasn't wild about their onscreen kiss. I wonder if this was something that was hyped up when this movie came out, and if it was, I would consider the actual kiss to be a letdown. I don't know why, again, maybe because I find Hrithik and Aishwarya to both be a bit cold in general. Or maybe it was the gross string of saliva I saw between them when Hrithik pulled away. Couldn't they have touched that up or edited it out?


A few tidbits I also enjoyed were the conversations between Hrithik and Abhishek's characters, and the scenes with Abhishek and Ash. Every time they were onscreen together, I kept thinking I was in on some big inside joke because I knew they were just married in real life and my mom and bro didn't(Never mind that the whole Indian subcontinent probably considers that common knowledge).



Its the little things that kept me happy in this movie...And literally, that's all it really offered. I won't be racing to see the first Dhoom unless somebody thinks I should....I'm waiting.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Blogger Templates