Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna

Hey, Shahrukh! I like blue too!!!


But ok, seriously. Where do I begin with this movie?

How about I'll preface this by saying I don't by any means condone adultery. Now, I've never been married, but I've had enough friends and seen enough marriages fall apart to know this: People change as they grow, and you both need to be willing to give 100% to a marriage in order to stay connected. Its something you have to work at every day.

The last thing you need in the midst of a marriage problem is a relationship with the opposite sex distracting you, making the grass appear greener on the other side. I'm not saying you can't have a platonic friendship with a co-worker or whatever, but I am saying there comes a certain point that is too close for comfort...and once you get to that point, I believe anyone has the potential to fall if they land in the wrong situation.

Ok, enough preachy talk--I bring this all up because I think Karan Johar actually did a pretty accurate job in telling a story where this could really happen--in fact, I was really impressed by the way he handled this --up until the last twenty minutes of the movie.
But we'll get to that.

Ok, so here's what Johar got so right-Yes, Maya had a loving husband (I was shouting,"is she crazy?!" during the scene where Abhishek has a candlelit dinner waiting for her when she comes home), but let's face it--Some people(myself included,before I wised up) just don't appreciate the things we have until they are gone. And yes, Shahrukh was kind of a jerk in this film, but he had such a sweet spot when it came to Maya. I have to admit, I found this unhealthily attractive. So in some weird way I guess I could see how Maya did what she did. I'm not saying it was right, and she was dumber than a brick to do it, but it was something I could see happening to someone like her.

Shahrukh's Dev really didn't have as much of an excuse(if you can call it that--there was really no excuse for Maya either), but again, fit with his character. Remember, he's pretty selfish. Can't handle a woman like Rhea(his wife), so he looks for someone who doesn't hurt his ego quite so much. Sadly, this happens every day in the real world.

I loved Abhishek Bachchan's character and for those who say he can't act, I say, "????"--He left me breathless in some of his scenes when he was arguing with Maya!

I also have to mention how much I absolutely loved the song, "Tumhi dekho na"--I was lost in Dev and Maya's world too and quickly forgot they were both married(I'm ashamed to admit-lol-But see how easy it is to stray?)

And is anybody else rooting for a romantic comedy starring Amitabh Bachchan and Kirron Kher? I sure am!! (Or does one already exist and I don't know about it?).



The thing that disturbs me most about the ending is I find it gives the wrong message. No, it didn't ruin the movie for me, I still like it alot, but this would rarely happen in the real world. A movie about infidelity that ends with the two guilty parties riding off into the sunset together(if this describes your current relationship and you think I'm off base, remember I said rarely)? What happens when Dev gets tired of Maya and cheats on her too? Oh well, I guess this is Bollywood and it isKaran Johar. But in the words of my friend Ceci, "Something good usually doesn't come out of something bad." Enough said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Blogger Templates